Friday, December 23, 2016

Best of 2016 Part Two: LM Foster

Next to Dan Brown, no other author has been able to yank my chain like this one.

While nosing through Facebook groups, I came across this book: Peter's Sisters. I rarely read the posts in this one group, but this night in particular, I did and I am so glad. What started as a lengthy debate over a cover grew into one of the best collaborations that I have ever experienced--authors coming together to help one another. As indies I feel like we get the shaft in many ways, so it is nice to see fellow authors connecting and helping each other improve the odds. Anyway, one thing led to another, and I assisted with this books updated cover creation.

Of course, being the book junky that I have always been, and knowing that if I came across this book on Amazon I would want to read it, I had to read the book. What. A. Ride.

Another thing led to another, and I am now assisting with the recovering of her other books. I am now a HUGE fan and I am slowly getting through her vast library. BUT the best part: I truly feel as if I have made a friend, someone I can commiserate with on this journey--she gets everything that I do and somehow we just mesh. What blows me away with each flip of the page is her unbelievable talent; this woman is going places and I will happily cheer her on. Her spins on all things occult, incubus, succubus, theoretical, mythological, and psychological are sassy, hilarious, a bit on the crazy side (but in a fun way), and intellectual--she obviously did the research and doesn't flake out with the usual romantic drab. You will think the story is going one way and then BAM she spins your head by changing direction, usually in a jaw-dropping kind of way. And I am always able to connect with the characters in a meaningful way. Her writing is intensely insightful...I could go on, but the point that I am trying to getting across, is you need to read her work.


Peter's Sisters was so well done that I decided I had to put it out there in Blog Land. If I had one complaint about this book, it would be that it left me with a severe case of FFS (Fiction-Fucked Syndrome). I literally sat there with my jaw hanging open after the last page, wondering wtf I just read and then spent the rest of the night going over the story in my head, trying to figure it out. I LOVE when I can put a book down and it still messes with my head for several more days...that's where I'm at, but definitely a MUST READ.





Corvino: Foster has over twenty books to choose from, but Corvino grabbed me, so I jumped in and once I started it, I was in for the long haul--real world be damned, I sat and read the entire book in one day. At the time, I had recently lost my dad to heart failure and was looking for escape--I got it and then some...

This was my first experience with an incubus tale and I was completely blown away. It starts off with a captivating mystery, as Rae experiments with a drink that she thought was Absinthe but turned out to be a potion; a potion that first lets her party with the dead and then she later discovers that it provides wild, sexy dreams to her person of choice (as long as they are alive). It's pretty crazy and I wondered at about the halfway point what was coming next because I know with Foster that I am going to be blown away.

Enter Corvino: the sexy incubus that Rae inadvertently invites into her world. Rae is more or less along for the ride and doesn't want to give up her newfound toy, but wants to be realistic...
Corvino isn't prepared to atone for his sins and therefore will only be there for physical pleasure. They connect and it evolves and the ending is so beautiful and spiritual...the quoting of my favorite piece of poetry, sonnet 43 from the Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett-Browning, near the end was my undoing. I burst into tears as this was the poem I had chosen for my dad's funeral.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

I finished the book with a feeling of peace and awe and appreciation for Foster's writing that I can't explain, but I am now obsessed with her so I'm now a dedicated fan...I have to keep reading. Something about Corvino hit close to home, during this particular moment in my life; it was both uplifting and relieving in so many ways.

A Passing Resemblance:

'Have to hide the crazy. Have some dignity.'
Yup, those two sentences had me and I instantaneously knew that A Passing Resemblance would be awesome. As usual Foster stole my time with another of her impeccably written tales that spun me around in circles, leaving me stunned and again...blown away.

Marina's first love leaves her broken and she eventually becomes obsessed with men she can't have...not so known actors, musicians etc. But what seems like some lite fan girl stalking soon escalates in the most hilarious and maniacal way. There were many laugh out loud moments as Foster spun this tale from the point of view of an obsessed fan and I felt myself siding with her crazy antics--recalling my days as a crazy squealing teenager.
Duck Feet:
Duck Feet is a saga-like story and a wonderful journey into the lives of a unique family. Foster takes the time to weave the tale slowly but with skill and perfect pace, revealing the history or each character and intertwining them in such a magnificent way.

Evie returns home with her boyfriend after the death of her grandma. It is revealed that her grandfather disappeared many years before and the death of her grandma causes Evie to wonder--and then investigate. It is a story revolving around the strange disappearance but it ends up being so much more!

For the first half of the book, I kept wondering what duck feet had to do with anything, but as the tale turns, I got my answer. This book had romance, mystery (lots), witchcraft, and all the fixings for a perfect read that I couldn't put down.

The mystery kept building right to the very end with a surprise ending that was both gruesome but lovely...I expect nothing less from Foster, whose writing I am now addicted too.

One Wild Ride: a series that sums up what happens when you read Fosters novels...Reviews to come--I'm saving this lovely three part series for my Jamaican vacay, but I have had a peek and am really REALLY having to restrain myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment