Tuesday, September 13, 2016

How do I love thee?

It has been a trying time for me and my family. Losing my dad was a blow that none of us were prepared for. I have been in tears at the most ridiculous times and find myself evaluating every aspect of life.

After a couple of weeks of insane sorrow, I decided to relax and read a book, something I hadn't done in a while because I just couldn't settle in. I had just started Corvino by LM Foster prior to my dad's passing and wanted to get back into it, not realizing the connection made on a religious/spiritual level throughout the book. It happened to be the perfect book for me to read after such a loss.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book because the cover was a bit dark,  but the blurb was intriguing, so I was curious because I had read Peter's Sisters and enjoyed it (seriously, it was amazing: see FFS-Indeed), so I figured this had to be good. Good will never cover the emotions I have after reading this book.

What can I say about this author? She is a phenomenal author who writes with professional skill, passion, humor, meticulous organization, and she clearly puts a lot of research into each book.
This was my first experience with an incubus tale and I was completely blown away. It starts off with a captivating mystery, as Rae experiments with a drink that she thought was Absinthe but turned out to be a potion; a potion that first lets her party with the dead and then she later discovers that it provides wild, sexy dreams to her person of choice (as long as they are alive). It's pretty crazy and I wondered at about the halfway point what was coming next because I know with Foster that I am going to be blown away.

Enter Corvino: the sexy incubus that Rae inadvertently invites into her world. Rae is more or less along for the ride and doesn't want to give up her newfound toy, but wants to be realistic...
Corvino isn't prepared to atone for his sins and therefore will only be there for physical pleasure. They connect and it evolves and the ending is so beautiful and spiritual...the quoting of my favorite piece of poetry, sonnet 43 from the Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett-Browning, near the end was my undoing. I burst into tears as this was the poem I had chosen for my dad's funeral.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

I don't think, next to Dan Brown, any author has been able to yank my chain like this one. I finished the book with a feeling of peace and awe and appreciation for Foster's writing that I can't explain, but I am now obsessed with her so I'm moving on to the next book...I have to. Something about reading this book hit close to home, during this particular moment in my life; it was both uplifting and relieving in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment