Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Descended from Dragons: and I am in Love...

 
I found Descended from Dragons: Moonlight Dragon book one, while roaming aimlessly through posts on Twitter. The first thing to strike me was the cover; it is absolutely stunning and thought-provoking. I immediately downloaded it to my Kindle account, but sat on it for awhile, because like an idiot I read the reviews, and like an idiot I got discouraged by a couple of haters. As a neurotic, I should know better than to read the reviews on Goodreads, but I did...
 
I got over it and this past week, I added it to my TBR and then decided, during a moment of craving for something different, that I would give it a shot--WIN, WIN FOR ME.
 
When I was a little girl, I spent countless summer days with my grandma and most of that time was spent playing dress-up; she had the most amazing collection of jewelry. I loved one item in particular--her Cameo. I used to fantasize that the Cameo could talk and she would tell me secrets. Some of my fondest memories as a child were with my grandma, so when I came across the snooty uptight Cameos that loved to put their two-cents in, within the early pages of this book, I was hooked--connected to the story by my remembrance of my grandma's Cameo but the connection didn't stop there...
 
This unique urban fantasy had magic--so did the writing, and it pulled me into the story of a sassy Las Vegas pawn shop owner named Anne Moody whose familiar is a Chinese dragon named Lucky. Anne lives in the back of her pawnshop and it is described as cursed, but is haunted in the most disgusting way. Having been exposed to oddities, curses, and horror on a regular bases has numbed Anne to a typical human reaction and her cynical point of view is often hilarious. At times she comes off as numb to the world around her, but she is still a passionate hot-blooded woman, determined to prevent demons from taking over her city, while trying not to jump her gargoyle, Vale.
 
The author used the glitz and glory of Las Vegas to create the sense of magic hidden within the secretly cursed city; a community of magic creatures, of all types, that are controlled by the Oddsmakers. Having been to Vegas, I could see every detail described by the author and could totally relate to her twist on it's reality.
 
This was a unique read for me, but I couldn't put it down because I loved the use of humor--it made the story feel authentic and relatable. I laughed a lot, so much so that my husband would toss me looks of annoyance (he does this often--I live to annoy him, but with love).
 
So this is a shout it loud from the rooftops FIVE STAR read for me...obviously. I have already started on book two, Hunting Down Dragons.
 
This book is available on Amazon Kindle Unlimited.

1 comment:

  1. My cousin loved this book so much, and I'm glad to you did too! I'm pushing it up now to the top of my TBR! :)

    ReplyDelete